Humorous Quotes from
The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank
By Erma Bombeck
- It was either Thomas Jefferson – or maybe it was
John Wayne – who once said, “Your foot will never get well as long as
there is a horse standing on it.”
- (In the suburbs) We have aluminum foil at the windows
to keep the sun from fading the children.
- And one day I yawned, stretched my arms and someone
stored the complete works of Dr. Seuss and a pot of African violets on them.
- I want to see the big, outside world from atop a lube
rack. I want to whirl dizzily in a cloud of exhaust, rotate my tries with
the rest of the girls. Don’t you understand? I want to honk if I love
- We had a little quiz the other day on reproductive
organs and he defined every one of them as an Askyourfather.
- The suburbs didn’t invent sex – it only gave it a
- I have always felt if the Good Lord had meant for
people to go nude He would never have invented the wicker chair.
- The suburban lawn not only became an obsession with
the suburban husband, it became the very symbol of manhood. Not to have a
lawn was like admitting you turned off the Super Bowl to take a nap, used
deodorant shields in your T-shirts, or had training wheels on your
- It struck with little warning and attacked the weak,
the bored, the vulnerable seeking relief from the monotony. Its name was
television and by 1966, it would enslave sixty-million families.
was a terminal disease that was to spread and worsen, driving people from
acute withdrawal to chip-dip attacks.
- There was a rumor going through the city that the
suburban housewife drank her breakfast, accepted obscene phone calls –
collect – played musical beds with her neighbors, and rewrote the book on
Show and Tell.
- If anyone could sell the suburbs, sin could.
- Marge was still on the drinking man’s diet. She
required a bottle, a little ice, and a clean glass. (Marge hadn’t lost a
pound, but it didn’t seem to make any difference to her.)
- There was a time when I derived some comfort out of
the knowledge that one out of every three Americans is overweight. But I
never saw the one. Everywhere I went I was flanked on either side by the two
- "Maybe you don’t realize the dangers of being
by yourself out here in this wilderness. There are loonies and crazies
running around all over the place."
“True, but we’re all on a first-name basis.”
- There are four things that are overrated in this
country: hot chicken soup, sex, the FBI, and parking your car in your
- Lester was wounded at Ft. Dix when he stapled his
elbow to a private’s request for transfer.
- “I suppose my braised prawn sandwiches did not meet
with your middle-class taste?” she snarled.
“I don’t pretend to be a connoisseur of bait!”
- In the suburbs, pregnancy wasn’t a condition, it
was the current style. Everyone was wearing a stomach in various stages of
development – whether you looked good in one or not.
- Most kids don’t know how to handle defeat. They
fall apart. Its important to know how to lose because you do a lot of it
when you grow up.
- Tomorrow night, this entire family is going to sit
down together and eat a meal. Only a certificate death – a recent one –
will be acceptable for a no-show.
- One son appears in stereo – a transistor in one ear
and the phone in the other..
Have you checked out
this super book?
Back to Humorous Quotes
WorkingHumor.com now has a Facebook Page. It's still a baby, hasn't learnt how to dance yet
but maybe you're the one we're waiting for, to get the party started ;o!
Check it out here