Humorous Quotes attributed to Henry Ward Beecher
1813-1887, American Clergyman & Writer
- A person without a sense of humor is like
a wagon without springs - jolted by every pebble in the road.
- All words are pegs to hang ideas on. (Freedom
- Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing
else that so beautifully furnishes a house. (Eyes and ears)
- Every man should keep a fair-sized
cemetery in which to bury the faults of his friends.
- I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is
only another way of saying, I will not forgive. (Life Thoughts)
- In the morning, we carry the world, like Atlas; at noon, we stoop and bend
beneath it; and at night, it crushes us flat to the ground. (Life Thoughts)
- Laugh at your friends, and if your
friends are sore; So much the better, you may laugh the more.
- Laughter is not a bad beginning for a
friendship, and it is the best ending for one.
- Many men build as cathedrals were built,
the part nearest the ground finished; but that part which soars toward
heaven, the turrets and the spires, forever incomplete. (Life Thoughts)
- Next to ingratitude the most painful thing to bear is gratitude.
- No man is sane who does not know how to
be insane on proper occasions. (Star Papers)
- Of all escape mechanisms, death is the
- The Church is not a gallery for the
better exhibition of eminent Christians, but a school for the education of
imperfect ones. (Life Thoughts)
- The difference between perseverance and
obstinacy is that one comes from a strong will, and the other from a strong
- The dog was created specially for
children. He is the god of frolic.
- The meanest, most contemptible kind of
praise is that which first speaks well of a man, and then qualifies it with
- The philosophy of one century is the
common sense of the next. (Life Thoughts)
- The soul without imagination is what an
observatory would be without a telescope. (Life Thoughts)
- The true secret of giving advice is,
after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is
taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.
- The worst thing in this world, next to
anarchy, is government.
- There are many persons who think that
Sunday is a sponge with which to wipe out the sins of the week. (Life Thoughts)
- We steal if we touch tomorrow. It is God's.
- Whether they shall confess their faults
or not, men generally leave to their moods, and not to their principles. (Life
- You have come into a hard world. I know of only one easy place in it, and
that is the grave.
Have you checked out
this super book?
Back to Humorous Quotes
WorkingHumor.com now has a Facebook Page. It's still a baby, hasn't learnt how to dance yet
but maybe you're the one we're waiting for, to get the party started ;o!
Check it out here