Humorous Quotes attributed to Montaigne
1533-1592, French Philosopher, Essayist
- A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.
- An unattempted lady could not vaunt of her chastity.
- Even on the most exalted throne in the world we are only sitting on our own bottom.
- Fortune, seeing that she could not make fools wise, has made them lucky.
- Have you known how to take rest? You have done more than he who hath taken empires and cities.
- He who is not very strong in memory should not meddle with lying.
- I consider myself an average man, except in the fact that I consider myself an average man.
- I quote others in order to better express myself.
- I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly.
- I tell the truth, not as much as I would like to, but as much as I dare. I dare more and more as I grow older.
- I will follow the right side even to the fire, but excluding the fire if I can.
- If you don't know how to die, don't worry; Nature will tell you what to do on the spot, fully and adequately. She will do this job perfectly for you; don't bother your head about it.
- Man is stark mad; he cannot make a flea, and yet he will be making gods by the dozens.
- Marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get in, and those inside desperate to get out.
- My life has been filled with terrible misfortune; most of which never happened.
- My reason is not framed to bend or stoop: my knees are.
- Once you have decided to keep a certain pile, it is no longer yours; for you can't spend it.
- Poverty of goods is easily cured; poverty of the mind is irreparable.
- Scratching is one of nature's sweetest gratifications, and the one nearest at hand.
- The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness.
- There is no conversation more boring than the one where everybody agrees.
- When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself with me more than I with her.
Back to Humorous Quotes
WorkingHumor.com now has a Facebook Page. It's still a baby, hasn't learnt how to dance yet
but maybe you're the one we're waiting for, to get the party started ;o!
Check it out here