Humorous Quotes attributed to Oscar Levant
1906-1972, American Pianist, Actor
- A pun is the lowest form of humor -- when you don't think of it first.
- As a hotel dweller I had acquired an imperishable respect for the maternal instincts of bellboys and elevator operators. ~ (A Smattering of Ignorance)
- As a youth, Harpo was a boy soprano in a quartet. When he fortunately lost his voice he found that silence was golden. ~ (A Smattering of Ignorance)
- Every time I look at you I get a fierce desire to be lonesome.
- I inquired, “Tell me, George (Gershwin), if you had to do it all over, would you fall in love with yourself again?”.~ (A Smattering of Ignorance)
- I once said cynically of a politician, "He'll double cross that bridge when he comes to it."
- I've given up reading books. I find it takes my mind off myself.
- It is by this watch (one presented by George Gershwin) that I have been late for every important appointment since then. ~ (A Smattering of Ignorance)
It was during this period of emergence that (Max) Steiner began to come into
conflict with his producers as his passion for illuminating action with
sound developed, and his position at the studio strengthened. He would seize
upon every new script that came into the office, searching it through to
find strange new uses for music. Anything with lightning and thunder or a
few good horror episodes automatically became Steiner’s property. I doubt,
however, that even he dreamed of so ideal a fulfillment of his hopes as he
encountered in King Kong. This really got him.
It offered him a chance to write the kind of music no one had ever heard
before – or since. Full of weird chords, strident background noises,
rumblings and heavings, it was one of the most enthusiastically written
scores ever to be composed in Hollywood. Indeed, it was always my feeling
that it should have been advertised as a concert of Steiner’s music with
accompanying pictures on the screen.
~ Oscar Levant (A Smattering of Ignorance)
- Like most conductors, he (Sir Thomas Beecham) fancies himself a wit; but in distinction to all others, his jokes are invariably good.~ (A Smattering of Ignorance)
- Once he makes up his mind, he's full of indecision. [On Dwight D. Eisenhower]
- Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic, and so am I.
- So little time and so little to do.
- The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too.
- There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
- There are two sides to every question: my side and the wrong side.
- Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.
- What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Have you checked out
this super book?
Back to Humorous Quotes
WorkingHumor.com now has a Facebook Page. It's still a baby, hasn't learnt how to dance yet
but maybe you're the one we're waiting for, to get the party started ;o!
Check it out here