Humorous Quotes about Advertising
- However far your travels take you, you will never find the girl who smiles out at you from the travel brochure. ~ Anon
- The very first law in advertising is to avoid the concrete promise and cultivate the delightfully vague.~ Bill Cosby
- As a profession advertising is young; as a force it is as old as the world. The first four words ever uttered, Let there be light, constitute its charter. All nature is vibrant with its impulse. ~ Bruce Barton
- In our factory, we make lipstick. In our Advertising, we sell hope. ~ Charles Revson
- I remember the day we were hanging around the band’s commune and Roger came in with the press kit for a rock band (Moby Grape) any of us had ever seen. It looked psychedelic, yet it was done by ad people. I believe the word “hype” was coined on that very day. ~ Cynthia Heimel (If you can't live without me...)
- Infiniti ads are part of an exciting new trend called “Advertising Whose Sole Purpose Is to Irritate You.” ~ Dave Barry (Dave Barry Talks Back)
- There is one catagory of advertising which is totally uncontrolled and flagrantly dishonest: the television commercials for
candidates in Presidential elections. ~ David Ogilvy (Confessions of an Advertising Man)
- I never tell one client that I cannot attend his sales convention because I have a previous engagement with another client;
successful polygamy depends upon pretending to each spouse that she is the only pebble on your beach. ~
David Ogilvy (Confessions of an Advertising Man)
- To advertisers: "Do not compete with your agency in the creative area.
Why keep a dog and bark yourself?" ~ David Ogilvy
- It takes courage to be creative. Just as soon as you have a new idea, you are a minority of one. ~ E. Paul Torrance
- An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission. ~
Fred A. Allen
- Advertising is the modern substitute for argument; its function is to make
the worse appear the better. ~ George Santayana
- Advertising is legalized lying. ~ H.G. Wells
- Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half.
- Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. ~ Jerry Della
- There is a great deal of advertising that is much
better than the product. When that happens, all that the good advertising will
do is put you out of business faster.
~ Jerry Della Famina
The list of sins committed by advertising is limited only by the creativity
of its critics.
~ Jerry Kirkpatrick (A Philosophic Defense of Advertising)
You can fool all the people all the time if the advertising is right and the
budget is big enough. ~ Joseph E. Levine
||Before and After...
Perhaps the most curious mutation of the corset advertisement is the
transformation, or clinical type, consisting of two photographs. The first
shows a rather bedraggled young matron in a gaping, misshapen girdle at
least half a dozen sizes too large for her, cringing under the cool
inspection of a trained nurse and several friends. Judging from the flowers
and the tea service, the hostess has invited her neighbors in to deride her
physique, for they are exclaiming in unison, “Ugh, my dear – you’ve got
lordosis [unlovely bulge and sagging backline!]” The second photograph,
naturally, depicts the miracles wrought by the proper girdle, which, in
addition to the benefits promised in the test, seems to have removed the
crow’s feet from under the subject’s eyes, marcelled her hair, reupholstered
the divan, and papered the walls.
S.J. Perelman (Most of the Most of S.J. Perelman)
If you are writing about baloney, don't try and make it Cornish hen, because
that's the worst kind of baloney there is. Just make it darn good baloney. ~
I've learned any fool can write a bad ad, but it takes a real genius to keep
his hands off a good one. ~ Leo Burnett
I am one who believes that one of the greatest dangers of advertising is not
that of misleading people, but that of boring them to death. ~ Leo Burnett
I have learned that it is far easier to write a speech about good
advertising than it is to write a good ad. ~ Leo Burnett
We want consumers to say, 'That's a hell of a product' instead of, 'That's a
hell of an ad.' ~ Leo Burnett
- The trouble with us in America isn't that the
poetry of life has turned to prose, but that it has turned to Advertising
copy. ~ Louis Kronenberger
'Be comfortable with who you are', reads the headline on the Hush Puppies
poster. Are they mad? If people were comfortable with who they
were, they'd never buy any products except the ones they needed, and then
where would the advertising industry be? ~ Mark Edwards
Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.
~ Mark Twain
The modern little red riding hood, reared on singing commercials, has no
objections to being eaten by the wolf. ~ Marshall Mcluhan
- Good wine needs no bush, and perhaps products that
people really want need no hard-sell or soft-sell TV push. Why not? Look at
pot. ~ Ogden Nash
- Some jobs are worse than actual wives. Ad agency vs. Matrimony, for instance: Even the most capricious and demanding spouse is not going to divorce you for refusing to spend forty hours a week making up lies about toilet paper. ~ P.J. O'Rourke (The Bachelor Home Companion)
- Advertising is like learning -- a little is a dangerous thing. ~ P.T Barnum
- Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. ~ Sinclair Lewis
Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human
intelligence long enough to get money from it. ~ Stephen B. Leacock
Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark.
You know what you are doing, but nobody else does. ~ Steuart Henderson Britt
The advertisements are the most truthful part of a newspaper.~ Thomas Jefferson
Just because your ad looks good is no insurance that it will get looked at.
How many people do you know who are impeccably groomed . . . but dull? ~
Have you checked out
this super book?
Have you checked out
this super book?
If you had learnt French and its getting rusty
you're in the same boat as us.
Join us as we share jokes, funny poems etc
(along with help files) and row hard ;!
Back to Humorous Quotes
WorkingHumor.com now has a Facebook Page. It's still a baby, hasn't learnt how to dance yet
but maybe you're the one we're waiting for, to get the party started ;o!
Check it out here